Sunday, June 20, 2010

Home Visit


Our Constitutions provide for us to make a home visit to see our family once a year. If they live out of state, we typically do not do this every year. Most of my family lives in NH and I visit them about once every three years. I also have a Korean American family who live in upperstate New York. This is because I helped to raise who a girl named Song who was an international student at Notre Dame High School when I taught there before I entered. Now she is grown up and has two children of her own. Her two little children are Samantha, age 4, and Noah, age 3. They call me grandma. This makes me feel very old, but I like it because it sounds so cute the waya they say it...even when they say it over and over again. Their other grandparents are in Korea, but they never get to see them because it is so far away. So, they love having a grandma who can come visit and do things with them. They cried a lot today when I had to leave to go visit my family in New Hampshire. Even though Song and I tried to make it as smooth as possible. We had a great weekend together! The picture here is of Boldt Castle in Alex Bay. We took a boat ride out to see the castle and went to the Food & Wine festival. They both are too little for school and need a lot of attention! They tend to do the opposite of what they are asked to do. The person who invented reverse psychology must have been thinking about children like these two! Samantha is the little girl who asked why all the time. Every question is Why? Even after the answer is given, she's right back to you with Why? again. I forgot how persistent little children can be! I am praying for Song to have patience and a good sense of humor. Those two characteristics can get you through a lot of challenges! I'm glad she has a nice home and a good job and supportive friends nearby, and a boss who understands the challenge of raising little children. Today I'm on my way to New Hampshire to see the rest of my family.