Friday, November 12, 2010

The Heavens are Telling

Today I am preparing an Evening Prayer and Reflection on Care for Creation based on the Universe Story and the book Radical Amazement by Judy Cannato. On Friday evenings we gather in our local community and one of our sisters volunteers to share something that is part of her own prayer life. My retreat last summer has brought me into a deeper awareness of the cosmic connection between the inner life, the common life, and the cosmic life. Our Congregational Justice Committee gave each of our Prioresses a prayer to use in community and a book with ideas for prayers on Care for Creation. I volunteered two weeks ago to lead our prayer, and now this idea has providentially landed in my mail. After I worked out how I would set the environment and tone, how to lead off the reading and invite contemplation and start off the sharing, I began to look for music to move us into the social hour that typically follows our prayer. I found on my shelf a used CD I found on the Free Table. Its called The Heavens are Sounding: Favorite Choruses by Beethoven, Schubert, Bruckner, Handel, Bach, Gounod, Haydn & Brahms. I chose Track 13 The Creation: The Heaven's are Telling by Joseph Haydn. This sent me into a search to know the lyrics in English and I found some beautiful things online about the entire work. It is about the story of Creation from Genesis and Paradise Lost.

Cosmic images put to the music.

I invite you to marvel at them and ask yourself as we will be asking ourselves this evening, what is it about the story of the universe that amazes me to my depths? How can I treasure creation more lovingly? How can I give thanks more truly for all that surrounds me with light?

English Lyrics