Sunday, March 18, 2012

Mother Pia Visiting Stone

Dominican Convent at Stone
In September of 1904 Mother Pia followed up on the Master General recommendation and visited the Dominican Motherhouse in Stone, England.  The community made an excellent impression on her.  She wrote, “A very good spirit reigns in this community.  Very quiet measured demeanor, but not cold; rather plain, mild, friendly.  The Mothers understand different languages; are prudent and sensible.  Very monastic; very sisterly.  Towards superiors, the Sisters are not shyIn Mother Philomena Dormer, provincial, Mother Pia found a kindred spirit with whom she could speak freely.  “She agrees with me regarding Breviary, Domestic Sisters, Enclosure.  I feel greatly relieved that others think as I do.  I do not want to insist on my opinion, for I trust little in myself.  But I thank God for the relief afforded me by this interview.”  Mother Philomena encouraged her to seek papal approbation for the Congregation.  Mother Pia left England greatly reassured.  “I profited by this trip to England.  There I found truly genuine religious, uncontaminated by the Zeitgeist.  Educated but simple.  Nothing of the butterfly spirit.”