Saturday, June 2, 2012

Care of Creation 11: Church and State

"To follow Christ is to be engaged in such a way that one’s stance of being in the world is unitive not divisive. Eucharistic life sacramentalizes the vocation of whole-making by offering one’s life for the sake of drawing together that which is divided. Eucharist is being bread broken and eaten for the hungry of the world. It is the food that gives strength to make every stranger beloved, the “yes” of our lives to God’s mysterious cruciform love. What happens to us must be done by us. [Eucharist] requires death to the old self that refuses to embrace another and openness to the other as part of oneself. Whole-making is the desire to be part of a greater whole, and Eucharist sacramentalizes the whole…Jesus’ whole-making is self-surrender for a greater good, and anyone who makes whole by self-surrender for a greater good is following Jesus.” --Ilia Delio, The Emergent Christ pp 67-69 

Today I draw together that which is divided by politics.  I believe in the American way of keeping Church and State separate.  The Church is about communion and actions based on Eucharistic values and the teachings of Jesus Christ.   The State is about governing society, protecting the citizens and providing for those who cannot provide for themselves.  Although the Church and State can be drawn together effectively in an individual's life, as I am doing today, when they intermingle in the public rhetoric, they often clash horribly and create more confusion and division.

I take time to read the political opinions of all parties with candidates in the upcoming elections and various positions on the measures up for consideration.  I am grateful for the sacrifices people have made so that I have the right to vote.  I take it as a serious duty.  

I am an independent voter.  Every election I try to consider all the possibilities with an open mind and make the best choice based on my own analysis of the candidates' character, their voting records and their stated positions.  Lately, the election season has become so sullied by deceitfulness and hatefulness, it is a most unpleasant business.  It is harder and somewhat disgusting sorting the honest opinions from the deceit and rhetoric.  I consider the endorsements of organizations whose values I share, but I make up my own mind without discussing it.  Many Americans follow a similar process.  We are the "silent majority."  We do vote, we just don't talk about it much.  When we do talk about it, it isn't to parrot or dispute a particular party line.  Although I value the right to vote and take it as a serious civic duty, I dislike the election season because of the divisiveness it generates.  Hateful political rhetoric poisons the atmosphere and sickens society.  I am on guard, but I do my duty toward the State as seems best to me.  I think the place of the Church in the election season is to offer the Sacraments that soothe the spirit and heal the sickness, not to add to the confusion and disease.