Saturday, September 22, 2012

Learning Goal #4 Spontaneous Prayer



The prayer style I am used to is reciting or singing prayers that are written down.  One of the areas I am focusing my learning on this year is  praying spontaneously with people of other Christian and non-Christian faiths.

To do this I plan to expand my prayer vocabulary; listen for the needs that patients and family members want to pray for; take cues from patients and family members and mirror them in prayer; practice giving thanks; asking for forgiveness, asking for healing, and giving blessings; ask a member of the Spiritual Care Team to be my goal partner; and write a verbatim about using spontaneous prayer to get feedback from my peers.
                                   
I hope to become more comfortable approaching people of other faiths or no faith tradition and and able to pray for their needs spontaneously when that is desired and appropriate.