Saturday, September 22, 2012

Learning Goal #3 Emotional Mindfulness



I want to be able to enter into what patients with cancer are feeling because this is essential to offering  compassionate spiritual care for them. I want to be mindful of what I am feeling and help patients and family members who are dealing with cancer identify and share their own feelings.  


I want to notice the emotions that come up for me as I offer spiritual care to cancer patients and their family members and reflect upon them; observe words, signs, body language, facial expressions and tone of patients and their family members and confer with them about their feelings; and process the observations and reflections that come up in myself, patients and family members with the spiritual care team and my supervisor to improve my practice of spiritual care.       

My goal is to be able to identify and share my own feelings about cancer and help cancer patients and their families identify and share what they are feeling.