Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Learning Goals for Unit II



Patients share a wide range of feelings with me.  I want to become more aware of what I am feeling before, during and after visits with patients and able to distinguish my own feelings from theirs.  This will help me to set healthy emotional boundaries.


Patients who are elderly or close to death frequently tell me their life stories.  I want to explore how their stories call up my own internalized stories, and the feelings connected with them.  I want to become more conscious of those connections in the moment, ask patients about the emotions that come up for them and reflect upon the life experiences and feelings my their stories evoke in me. 



Patients are sometimes faced with situations that make them feel confused, guilty, depressed, lonely or hopeless. I want to be able to listen to them and be with them in their struggles to forgive themselves, reconcile and make better choices in light of their own spirituality.  I want to take more time listening to patients who are in challenging situations; let them unwrap the layers of complex problems they have been dealing with for a long time; and help them to discover spiritual resources and coping skills that can help them find inner peace.



Patients often expect the chaplain to pray with them, but my role is also to listen, assess and develop a pastoral plan that will help them find spiritual healing.  I want to assess my patients’ spiritual supports and resources and whatever spiritual distresses they are experiencing; and develop a pastoral plan that will be useful to their ongoing spiritual healing.