Wednesday, January 17, 2018

The Mouth of Truth

On my first day in Rome with students from Saint Mary's College, I found a bakery with this replica of the "Mouth of Truth" made famous in Roman Holiday with Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn made entirely of pastry dough!  It was on my way back to the convent of the Sisters of Christ from the Lay Center for Pontifical Studies at the Generalate of the Passionist Priests' in Rome, where the students have their daily lectures.  This is my eighth visit to Rome, and my fourth with students from St. Mary's on their pilgrimage walking in the footsteps of the early Christians.  One of my goals for this trip is to finally feel at home in Rome.  The real “Mouth of Truth” is an ancient Roman mask which stands against the left wall of the portico of the Santa Maria in Cosmedin church, at the Piazza della Bocca della Verità, near Santa Sabina.  The image is from the window of a bakery near the convent of the Suore di Cristo.