Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Newman Symposium

We sponsored a symposium on John Henry Newman at Stanford University and our Motherhouse over the weekend. It was a huge success! I never knew so many people have a devotion to Cardinal Newman. Father Ted Ross, S.J. and Father Michael Barber, S.J presented on Newman's life and writings. There are so many lessons we can learn from him about development of doctrine, preaching, the role of the laity, conscience and morality. I have been especially inspired by Newman's writing about the stirrings in his own conscience in his teen years and later as a adult. I am moved by the integrity and relentlessness of his pursuit of the truth through the study of Catholic teaching through the centuries.

The quality of his writing and the sincerity of his belief in the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist make me want to know more about him. Bishop John Cummins and Timothy Eden, SM joined Father Ted and Father Michael to answer questions here and at Stanford. I am reading the authorized biography by Beaumont and a book on his Inner Life by Father Zeno, OFM,Cap. His doctoral dissertation was on the works of Newman and he is now considered one of the foremost Newman Scholars in the world. I recommend both books highly. I want to read some of his sermons and the Apologia next. If want to find out more about him or his works go to newmanreader.org.