Monday, April 15, 2013

Learning Goals for Unit III


I will use the dynamic theoretical model to draw upon my sensory awareness, relational awareness, emotional awareness, and intellectual awareness in my interactions with patients, peers, and staff. I will share my authentic self appropriately with patients, peers and other professional associates in situations involving conflict and crisis. I will be sensitive and open to people of different cultures, beliefs and backgrounds while remaining true to myself. I will use contemplative dialogue and family systems theory to examine conflicts and crises in patient visits.  I will initiate role-play and write three verbatim accounts about visits that involve family conflict and crisis and work with my supervisor and peer group to improve my approach to these in pastoral care.

I will contemplate how my assumptions about my use pastoral role and prophetic voice influence my interactions with peers and staff in addressing social issues and justice considerations. I will reflect on ways that my spiritual beliefs and values influence my pastoral practice and interactions with patients and staff, and write about that in three verbatim accounts. I will draw upon my spiritual tradition, life experience, and education in my approach to social issues and justice considerations that come up on the medical setting and share my learning with my peers.  I will initiate dialogue with my peers about the use of prophetic voice and pastoral presence to address social issues and justice considerations and reflect upon feedback received from peers.   
 
I will become professionally competent in making spiritual assessments and interventions and charting them appropriately. I will listen to patients’ feelings and beliefs about sickness, suffering and death and how that is affecting them and their family. I will help patients articulate any spiritual distress they are experiencing and identify resources that help them to cope. I will assess patients’ core spiritual dynamics according to the HOPE based method and provide interventions that affirm, guide, reconcile or console appropriately. I will demonstrate knowing what to hold in confidence, what to discuss with other members of the staff, when to make a referral and what to write in the patient’s chart.

I will work towards Board Certification with the National Association of Catholic Chaplains and put together an application packet for Supervisor in Training. I will set up a timeline and checklist for certification and assemble all the materials for my application for board certification before the September 15, 2013 deadline. I will plan on being interviewed on May 3 or 4, 2014 for NACC board certification.  I will prepare the standard ACPE application for a position as Supervisor in Training and all of the support materials needed by the end of May.  I will submit my application for SES at the end of the first unit of Level II, and update it at the end of the second unit of Level II.  I will apply for NACC board certification after I have completed all four units