Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Models of Mercy and Compassion for a Suffering World


Image result for jubilee year of mercy



Throughout this Jubilee Year of Mercy, I have been meditating on what mercy means to me, and the people with whom and for whom I minister as a Multi-faith Chaplain at Valley Medical Center.  To me mercy and compassion are fundamentally about self-knowledge born from suffering that teaches me to notice and respond to the suffering of others.  Buddha is reported to have said, “When watching after yourself, you watch after others. When watching after others, you watch after yourself.”  The Gospel of John tells us that Jesus Christ “Knew all men, had no need that anyone should testify of man, for he knew what was in man.”  Dr. Paul Yves Wery, a Belgian medical doctor who worked to slow the spread of AIDS in Thailand, observed a difference between the way Christians and Buddhists practice compassion.  Neither tradition suggests that the feeling that stirs in a person who encounters another who is suffering is adequate to describe what compassion is because it is more than an emotion. 

“For years the only thing I saw behind the word ‘compassion’ was a charitable act done on behalf of those who suffer. Later, when I became more adept at introspection, I saw compassion as something more complex because I found that it referred to both a feeling I can sense (the discomfort that is passively experienced when pain is observed) and also my reaction to that discomfort.”  Christian visitors to hospice patients dying of AIDS responded to their suffering with what he called “mothering” gestures, expressions of love similar to those mothers express toward their children, while Buddhist visitors tended to respond with generous gestures, offering gifts, food, flowers, or money. Buddhism and Christianity both teach that compassion is attending and responding to the suffering of another.  Followers of Buddha and Christ share a call to feel empathy towards those who are suffering, but the cultural response to that affect is often different. 


(Buddha 2013)
(John 2:24-25, King James Version 2014)
(Wery 2011 )