Saturday, September 12, 2026

Post Camino Day 12

 After sleeping in. Ah sleep! Glorious sleep! We donned earphones and voice transmitters that transmitted a mixture of sounds that could only rarely be assembled into one of the Indo-European languages. I went along as a passenger on my own feet through the highlights of the city whose sights and sounds were easily interpreted without headgear. We arrived after two hours of a circuitous walk through the open air market and old city to the tomb of Saint James where we paused to venerate the relics under the high altar. Then we were led up and around to receive and/or give an embrace to the statue of Saint James above the high altar and took our places for Mass. I did truly ask for the Saint’s blessing and protection. Translation was provided in a lengthy variety of languages, but it lagged well behind the appropriate moment to respond during the Mass parts, so I turned it off except for the homily and followed along in Spanish. Pilgrims from all lands were greeted and blessed and reminded that the journey of spiritual growth remains within us. After Mass, Mary, Bob and I had lunch at the Parador Hotel. I had the Caldo Galego (Galician Soup), my new favorite due to the cold, and they had a ham and cheese sandwich. We met Chang and our driver for the excursion to Finisterre and Muxia at the hotel lobby at 2:30. The road trip took a good three hours, but the sight of the ocean and the bay and the sacred place where Saint James received encouragement from the Virgin Mary for the mission of preaching the Gospel was heartening and beautiful. Between Finisterre and Muxia are high cliffs with prevailing onshore winds making it clear why so many vessels have gone aground there they call it the coast of death. Our driver dexterously maneuvered us past road blocks set up for a three day festival of the Virgin of the Boat and back to our hotel in time for a snack before bed. Tomorrow I fly to Madrid for a layover before flying home on Sunday.